Re: Bird bath/gate project

How nice for you to share the cardinals afternoon spa! Unfortunately, my fountain birdbath ran dry while I was recovering from my surgery and now no longer is a fountain. I'm hoping it is just the pump that got fried and that I will be able to buy a replacement (I haven't looked yet). It would really (*&*%&) if something happened to the solar panel, which I'm sure will be more expensive to replace. It is roasting here- 105 and supposed to be the same for the next 3 days. I've had the mister on the back porch on all afternoon yesterday and today. I did actually go outside for a couple of hours and redid the inside part of the small gate off my new patio. I put lattice into the frame and then took the regular fence boards off the outside. I didn't put the lattice on the outside yet (so it still looks unfinished)- but I was hot, tired, and the battery for my circular saw was out of juice also. Just as well- it was time to cool off. It will look so much better when I'm finished. I'll put up pics once it is final. Also, some morning I'll get outside to take a picture of one of my crinum flowers before the heat cooks it!

james singer wrote:
The mister system in my lath house includes, among other things, a dripline that refreshes a wall-mounted birdbath on the back patio fence. The mister system fires off three times a day--on a Dr Pepper schedule of 10, 2, and 4--for 15 minutes each time. Mr Cardinal has used this bath often. Today, for the 2 PM refreshment, he brought Mrs Cardinal. I've never seen them together at the birdbath before.

It's a small birdbath. She went first, and when she was sufficiently wet, he took his turn. She dried herself with the customary ruffles and flourishes, then dropped to the basil pot beneath the birdbath and feasted on basil seeds. Mr Cardinal meantime sat on top of the fence and dried himself.

When he seemed to be over with his drying and preening routine, he chirped at her in that unmelodic cardinal chirp, and they flew away.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10