RE: My First Ripe Tomato!

LOL!!!  Good luck with that one!  I have been seeing a very large field
rabbit snuggling down in the mulch around the Patriotic Garden.  Morning and
evening the bulldogs give it a good start.  Little does the bunny know the
dogs are just very curious.  If the jumped at any of the 4 bulldogs, the
bulldogs would take me for a drag in the other direction.  I thought that
rabbit would have gotten the dogs constitutional schedule down by now.

We are in the 90's all week this week but I haven't noticed any difference
in birding behavior here, other than I'm seeing more "low fliers" swooping
through our shaded lot.  (It's good to have shade sometimes!)  Fortunately,
most of the south side of the roof is shaded by large cottonwood and elm
trees.  It does help to put the right type of trees in the right direction
to get some help from nature to keep the heat down in the house.  It also
helps having "sky windows" that can be cranked open to let the hottest air
out while circulating cooler air from the basement into the house.  Now if
we could just get the humidity to lay low during these hot days, I might
think about another type of cooling for the house.

I'm trying to make sure the critters have water here, as well as the birds.
The pond helps some with that.  I was afraid that we had no frogs this year,
but I heard a big "plop" into the pond last Saturday.  I think I have a good
mosquito eater there again!  That is good news with all the moisture we had
until this week.  The mosquitoes were becoming a real nuisance.  One year
I'd like to get a purple martin house installed in the back yard to help
with that problem.

Thus far, nothing has died back from the heat.  EVERYTHING is in high gear
still.  I am noticing more powdery mildew (on my coreopsis for goodness
sakes!) from the heavy rains and humidity.  One plant looks close to dead,
but the others just look a bit ratty.  I really do appreciate the mildew
resistant plants in the garden!

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)