Re: An Inconvenient Truth

I agree with you Kitty....for every good thing I try to do around my
house...my husband or children "un-do". I gripe and lecture all the damn
time.....and they just look at me like I have a problem...because it's
not "convenient" for them to be "uber conscious" of what they are doing
to the earth or environment. But I just keep it up....maybe some day it
will all sink in. I think I can get through to my children before I EVER
get through to my husband.

Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:
  > don't you think the main point is for each of us to
> actually DO something to do our parts? I don't wait for any organization
> "guide" or force my actions. I do what I can to reduce my own carbon
> footprint and care for the piece of dirt I live on. I purchase from those
> who provide what I believe at the time to be "earth friendly" items and
> avoid those who have proven they are not. That takes no organization.
> That
> is just being responsible.

Bonnie, I'm sure doing so makes you feel good about yourself and keeps guilt
at bay, but the stewardship of this earth is a much bigger issue that can't
be handled by a few recyclers and Prius drivers. For each green person
doing that there are as many snowmobilers, racers of many kinds,
non-recyclers, SUV-9mi-to-the-gal-and-proud-of-its, gardeners who think
purple loosestrife is just SOOOOOO pretty, etc. Add to those people
offsetting your good deeds we also have companies strip-mining, spewing
chemicals, farmers excess fertilizer going into rivers, manufacturers who do
anything and everything they can to get around having to curb their
excesses, and on and on. Yet you don't think the government should make an
effort toward better stewardship? Even if it's all one big false alarm,
don't you think the government should set directives to help us clean up
some of the mess we've made? Sorry, but there are just not enough
individuals like yourself out there, making an effort on their own, to
offset the damage that has been done and continues to be done.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5