From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 10:06 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] weather

Our temperature only reached the low 90s today - that's hot enough for me -
but this afternoon a storm blew up that produced the heaviest hail I can
remember since we've lived here.  Chet went out and picked up a hailstone
the size of a ping-pong ball.  The storm didn't last long - about 20 minutes
- but the temperature dropped from 92 degrees to 71 degrees in that time.
It's still not a cool night - back up to 73 - but supposed to be cooler
tomorrow.  I haven't gone out to see how much damage the hail did to plants,
but it couldn't have been worse than the deer damage we had last week.  The
deer got behind the fish-line protection around the front garden that has
worked for the last five years  - they had to stand on the doorstep and
climb over a large planter - and completely devoured all my hostas.
Sickening.  That's the only place I even try to grow hostas, but I had quite
a handsome stand earlier this year, and won a blue ribbon at our flower show
for my 'Love Pat.'  Oh well.
Auralie