Angelica question

My friend and club member wants information about a plant that was given
to him and is growing in his yard.  It is a fantastic-looking plant about
seven feet tall with broad, deeply-cut leaves - by broad, I mean a foot
or more across - and an enormous flower head about 18 inches across.
He was told it was "woodland angelica" but has not been able to find
out more about it.  I have not had time to research it, but said I bet I
know some folks who do know about it.  He was told it is tricky to
germinate but may form offshoots around the base of the plant.  He
doesn't even know if it is annual or perennial.  It looks like  the
angelicas I have seen before, but about twice as large as anything
I have ever seen.  I am a bit suspicious of anything that grows this
large in one season.  It's handsome, but could easily become a bit
too much.  Any information would be appreciated.
Auralie