Re: Help with plant ID

That does seem odd. I got 2 C.h. from Seneca Hill. Mine has never gone over 3 ft and the one I got for CES is 3-4 ft. It likes to grow laterally and tends to be sort of sprawly. I'd guess Karen's might be neither C.h nor C. i., but yet another shrub-type Clematis. RHS says C.h. grows only to 5 ft and C.i. only to 3.3 ft.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Help with plant ID

YOu're probably right Ceres.  I've only grown C heracleifolia, so being
familiar with that one, it was my guess.  Not common to find any shrub
Clematis at a newly purchased existing home, so I bet Karen's probably in
for more treats as time goes by.
Actually, I talked with Karen about it a little offlist and showed her
photos of each.  The leaves definitely aren't entire like integrifolia,
so we're leaning towards a C. heracleifolia cultivar.  The leaves seem
right for that.

What's odd is that her plant is 6 or 7 feet high and still growing!