Re: hybrids

What Bonnie said is 100% right on.  The Prius totally rocks.  It is THE best
car on the market, IMHO.  Like Bonnie, I also bought it to "walk the walk".

I have no problems with power -- the car is pretty "zippy" and I have no
problem taking hills or speeding up real fast to get on the highway. (The
parkways in Long Island have ridiculously short entrance ramps, so you have
to be able to haul _ss to get on the parkway without getting killed.)

I am getting approximately 45-50 mpg right now and I am not stingy with the
AC.  In the winter, the mileage is less, approximately 36-44 mpg.

I am at the end of my lease of a 2003.  I have not had one single mechanical
problem with the car.  I have also kept up with the regular maintenance
schedule, which is service every 7500 miles, not every 3000 miles.

I am getting a new Prius for sure.  The new Prius (2004 and later versions)
get even better mileage -- they say 55-60 mpg, and they are really cool and
gadety, with Bluetooth technology for wireless cell phone use, and a push
button start, etc.  If you get the navigation system (which I will), you get
a back up camera that comes on when you put the car in reverse so you can
see what's behind you while you're backing up.

I don't know why they say the cars wouldn't sell.  The demand, here, is such
that you nearly always have to wait to get a Prius.  Very few, if any, are
ever available to buy and drive off the lot.  I ordered the new Prius and
expect to have to wait two months before it comes in.  I see alot of Priuses
on the road too.

My two cents.  I laugh at the fools filling up their Hummers at the gas