From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Bonnie Holmes
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 10:22 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT/Red stuff/various tastes - Great recipe

Braised Cabbage
Prep time: 5 minutes; Total time: 25 minutes; Serves 4 generously

Leeks should be cleaned thoroughly.  After slicing, place the pieces in a
large bowl of water.  Let stand about ten minutes, then remove them with a
slotted spoon.  (I have substituted onion but the leeks give it a better
flavor.)

2 cans (141/2 oz each) low-sodium chicken broth (or use chicken paste or
freshly made broth from chicken carcass)
1 teaspoon coarse salt
10 whole black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 small green cabbage (about 2 pounds), cut into 8 wedges
1 small leek, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise and cut
crosswise into =-inch-thick-pieces

Bring broth, salt, peppercorns, and bay leaf to a boil in a medium pot over
medium-high heat.  Add cabbage and leek.  Cover; reduce heat to medium.
Simmer until cabbage is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.  Transfer cabbage and some
of the broth to a serving platter.

Remaining broth makes a good starter for soup or as substitute for water
when cooking other vegetables.

This recipe originally came from Martha Stewart.

in
> the house either. Horrendous smell.
>
> On 7/28/06, Andrea Hodges wrote:
> >
> > No offense Bonnie, but that just sounds revolting. LOL! And Pam, I
> > don't blame your Mom. ICK!

it
> > > when
> > > I was sick as a kid- so now it's sort of my version of comfort food.
> > >
> > > Theresa

it's
now...

why