Re: I'm considering.......

Hi Cyndi, I would reconsider getting rid of the daffodils, especially since
they are your favorite.  I have not found that they are the water guzzlers
that other plants, especially roses are.  I have a native, drought tolerant
front yard landscape, which I never have to give supplemental water to except
after months of no rain.  I have daffodils planted all through these  beds.
They come up every year, expect for the years where we have the  warmest of
winters with no chill hours at all.   I cannot imagine  not having them there.
They go well with spring natives as well and  usually come up and bloom long
before any of the natives.
There is a wonderful landscape book for dry areas....it is called, Native
Plants for Southwestern Landscapes by Judy Mielke   It is full of  information
and pictures.   Another one that I have used for years  that I love is,
Landscape Plants for Dry Regions, Warren Jones and Charles  Sacamano.   I use this
for reference a lot, it lists more than 600  plants from around the world for
dry areas.  I have not found any  difficulty finding the plants for sale either
retail or mail-order. Many are  species of genus that are not usually
associated with dry climates, which makes  it nice.  It gives the drought tolerant
alternatives, as well as  for the various climate zones....not just the low
desert type regions, but also  high and intermediate.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

what  I