From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:17 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - If I can get through this - update

Monday night as I was reading my email before going to bed there was a
terrible boom followed by blackness.  I couldn't think what had happened,
but Chet knew at once - a tree fell on us.  An enormous old oak growing
over a boulder beside the house had just toppled over, falling straight
across the front of the house and filling the entire drive.  The main trunk
of the tree was about a foot from the front door.  Incredibly, it missed
the corner of the house and none of the glassed in entry was broken.
There are three or four holes punched in the roof, but no structural
damage.  You wouldn't believe the run-around we have had from ConEdison -
or maybe you would.  This morning I told them that if I didn't have power by
9:30 I was calling the local television station.  They came at 9:20.  The
other services have been great - the electrician, the tree people who cut up
and removed the stuff, the roofers who have put on temporary patches, but
ConEdison has given us real bureaucratic red-tape delaying tactics.  Anyway,
now I have power again.  We have called off the home part of the party - the
Teatown section is still on.  So I will have only the 16 family members here

on
Saturday night.  The crowd might have been easier to live with - the family
members might have felt they had to behave in front of company. Anyway,
I am so glad to have power again and work crews out of here that I guess
I can handle the rest.
  The only other lack of cooperation has been from the insurance people.
They tell us they have assigned a case number, but the adjustor, who was
supposed to come on Tuesday, has not shown up yet. They said they tried
to call us and got no answer and couldn't leave a message.  Duh!  The phone
lines did work, but the answering machine didn't because we had no power.
ConEdison wanted us to fax them information and didn't seem to understand
that we couldn't fax them because we had no power.  Oh well.
  Of course all the plantings across the front of the entire house are
destroyed.  I had just begun to feel good about them after the spring and
early summer problems.  In addition, a rhododendron, three very large,
old mountain laurels, a  nice pink spirea and a very nice Mugho pine that
we had put in just a couple of years ago are all smashed.  The redbud tree
across the drive that had looked better this spring than ever before, is
pretty
badly broken, but some of it can be saved.
  I'm so thankful that it fell where it did instead of two feet to the left,

that I
shouldn't complain.
Auralie

In a message dated 07/24/2007 12:02:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,