To: "gardenchat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 11:09 AM
Subject: [CHAT] OT Cat Advice Needed

Diesel really loves being outside, and spends hours either on the screened
porch or perched in an open window. I thought he'd be a happy inside cat, but
I guess he spent too long outside before we brought him in.

Anyway, a year later, and he still wants out. A couple of times he's dodged out with the dogs. Once, he cruised out while I was slaving over the drawing
board and didn't realize that the dogs had opened the door a bit. Another
time, he apparently pounced at a bird or chipmunk, and pulled the screen right
off the porch pillar.

Anyway. He's let me pick him up and bring him in each time. I've been careful not to pick him up the first time he approaches me in the garden, so that he doesn't associate me with a quick trip inside, and when we're inside I've been trying to teach him to come when called (yeah, laugh at me- I've only had dogs
before), but I'm sure there will come a time when I can't pick him up and
he'll out-stubborn me.

So. For those of you with indoor-outdoor cat experience - do they just wander in when they get tired of being outside? Do they come when you call? Have you
been able to teach them to avoid roads? We've got a fenced yard, but a 4'
chain link fence is no match for an athletic cat, I"m sure.