To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT Cat Advice Needed

Hi Daryl-
What you are describing is just normal cat behavior and likely has nothing
to do with the fact that he was outside when you found him.  All of my
cats have always done what you describe and I think it's just curiousity
(you know- that inherent cat quality that often results in their untimely
demise).  Anyway, don't assume you need and indoor-outdoor cat.  He still
can be just an indoor cat (just like mine).  I take mine out on a harness
to hang out with me sometimes- they seem OK with this.  I always have to
shoo them back from the doors with I come in and out (unless it is pouring
down rain). I too have replaced screen on the slider after an overly
excited cat climbed it.
And generally speaking, cats do not come when called, they don't know to
avoid roads, they will climb over your fence (and other things will come
into your yard that route too), and the average life-span of a cat outside
is only 2 years.  Are you sure you want to let your cat be outside?

Theresa

Daryl wrote:
Diesel really loves being outside, and spends hours either on the
screened
porch or perched in an open window. I thought he'd be a happy inside cat,
but
I guess he spent too long outside before we brought him in.

Anyway, a year later, and he still wants out. A couple of times he's
dodged
out with the dogs. Once, he cruised out while I was slaving over the
drawing
board and didn't realize that the dogs had opened the door a bit. Another
time, he apparently pounced at a bird or chipmunk, and pulled the screen
right
off the porch pillar.

Anyway. He's let me pick him up and bring him in each time. I've been
careful
not to pick him up the first time he approaches me in the garden, so that
he
doesn't associate me with a quick trip inside, and when we're inside I've
been
trying to teach him to come when called (yeah, laugh at me- I've only had
dogs
before), but I'm sure there will come a time when I can't pick him up and
he'll out-stubborn me.

So. For those of you with indoor-outdoor cat experience - do they just
wander
in when they get tired of being outside? Do they come when you call? Have
you
been able to teach them to avoid roads? We've got a fenced yard, but a 4'
chain link fence is no match for an athletic cat, I"m sure.