Re: OT Cat Advice Needed

I have a horror of road kill. The first cat I ever liked was one that belonged to DH and his family, long before we got married. Rascal would wait for Bill to come home on leave (how the cat knew is another story, but he always did). He was personality plus - when Pam described her Sugar I thought about Rascal - I never knew another cat like him.

Unfortunately, Bill's aunts across the street used to put leftovers out for him. That worked in 1960, when it was just a country road, but by 1969 or so, it was a major traffic mess. One day the inevitable happened.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Judy Browning" <judylee@lewiston.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:16 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT Cat Advice Needed

When I was a kid, the cats got food & affection. The males lived until they wandered onto the hiway, about 18 months. The females usually lived 3-5 years. Now my cats get neutered, shots, other basic care. They are in/out cats at their preference. One smart female cat lived to be at least 19. Current cat is about 4. We've lost kittens to the neighbor's Tom or other predators and one to a nasty infection or cancer at age 2. Most have been cautious about the street, especially if there are cars coming.