This and that

Birthday wishes to all!

I've been spending part of each day weeding and pruning. Since my knee
surgery, I still have trouble getting up from the ground, but I scoot along
on my fanny anyway edging and pulling weeds as far as I can reach. My only
other method is bending at the waist and that's not gentle on the back!  My
PT says that I'm ahead of the curve for healing from my surgery. I'm really
pleased about that as I have a hort group coming on the 15th.

I have gotten some garden help.  My niece and nephew decided that a little
extra cash is a good thing! My niece is a better weeder. She's faster and
more attuned to the little things. I don't have to instruct her about how to
spread mulch. I think I've talked to her more today (her first day) than in
her whole lifetime (She's 23)!

She quickly learned to ID the baby poison ivy plants! Good thing, because
they are coming up everywhere in the garden!

We have been kind of dry in the past couple of weeks.  Thunderstorms
threaten and then peter out or leave a 1/4" of rain. There are many areas in
the garden where I have to hand water.  I really dislike dragging a hose
around. I had the irrigation guy give me an estimate on fixing our system so
that it actually waters the beds!  Some of the heads are hidden under giant
hostas or are blocked by tall plants, etc. Well, the price was more than I
expected, but it has to get done!  I'm just too old to be worrying about
hand watering!  We'll see...

Daylilies are heading for peak bloom. Liliums are putting on a show!  Some
of the lilies didn't make it to curtain time as they were chopped off by the
critters. Some with blooms are cut about a foot up the stem.  I'm glad that
I have planted a lot of lilies so that I still have some bloom to enjoy!

The cats have been bringing chipmunks and baby rabbits home. Sometimes alive
and sometimes DOA. I try to rescue those that I can!  The strangest thing
was finding a dead chipmunk in a basket on an end table one morning! He was
still warm thank goodness (dead chipmunks are not pretty after a day or
two). Don't know how he got there!

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
 Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)