Re: ground bees

Agree completely. Yellow jackets and hornets are the only bee/wasps that I will attempt to exterminate, and those only if nesting near people or where I mow. Solitary bees are great pollinators. Bumblebees nest in the ground, too, but they are communal, frequently utilizing abandoned mouse burrows. Solitary wasps prey on the "bad guys" in your garden. Please try to coexist with them!
cathy carpenter
west central IL, z5b

On Jul 6, 2008, at 2:28 PM, DP wrote:

If they're black, or definitely not yellow jackets, leave them since they're beneficial. As you say, they're not aggressive. Most "ground bees" are solitary nesters and destroy Gypsy Moth, Broccoli worms and other caterpillars.

If they're Yellow Jackets, there will be one central hole. It can be treated with a long-reach spray in the evening, or dusted with Sevin or another insecticide (also at night so you don't tick them off and get stung) .

To: "gardenchat list" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 1:59 PM
Subject: [CHAT] ground bees

While weeding (ok read pulling out the cover of weeds) the railroad
garden I have found it is infested with ground bees. I have hundreds of them everywhere there. They are not aggressive, as no one got bit. But
they are all in a tither trying to dig in the dirt again.

What the heck are they? They sure look like a bees. How do I control
them? There are way too many to allow them to just stay. And if I do
succeed in stopping them, I am afraid they will just go elsewhere in the
yard. I need kill off some at least. Ideas?