Re: ground bees

hum....

ever see flies on sh*&? Well if the train layout was a pile of crap,
that is what it looks like. You can not step anywhere without a bunch
swarming around your ankles. And now that I have weeded it and disturbed
them all, they are just flying around the ground trying to get back in.
To be honest, when I first started/saw them, I thought something must be
dead in there with all those flies, then realized they were not flies,
they were bees. I think every bee in the county is nesting here.

I can't believe I have that many bad bugs to keep that population fed. I
still think I need to decrease the population..or at least transport
some of them. They need to go about 40 ft west and pollinate that veggie
garden!

  Donna

cathy carpenter <cathycrc@comcast.net> wrote:
  Agree completely. Yellow jackets and hornets are the only bee/wasps
that I will attempt to exterminate, and those only if nesting near
people or where I mow. Solitary bees are great pollinators. Bumblebees
nest in the ground, too, but they are communal, frequently utilizing
abandoned mouse burrows. Solitary wasps prey on the "bad guys" in your
garden. Please try to coexist with them!
cathy carpenter
west central IL, z5b