compost leaf mold as mulch

  • Subject: compost leaf mold as mulch
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 21:54:44 -0500

I just finished remaking my large Hosta bed. It was filled for almost 10 yrs with some nice hostas, but then parts of it began developing fungal problems and the maple tree roots grew up into the soil. It took a few years to dig it all out and sell most of it off, replanted some nice ones elsewhere. Then I had to rebuild the soil which took me another year. But this week I tackled it. Tilled, ammended, conditioned, fertilized (organically), and it came out looking pretty good. Today I planted it. When it came to mulching I had some choices. My usual pinebark mulch, some scrap mulch from the city, or leaf mold.

I have a big fence-bin of composted leaf mold about 2 yrs old, never turned. It's rich dark brown and comes out in chunks when I dig into it. I rub it through a sieve and get the most beautiful rich, fine-particled humusy material that if used as a mulch, I would hope would break down and continue feeding my soil. Has anyone here used compost as a mulch? Is it adequate for keeping soil moisture in and weeds out? Or should I put a layer of regular mulch over it?

neIN, Zone 5