Re: tomato disease

  • Subject: Re: tomato disease
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 21:49:05 EDT

Kitty, I was not offended.  I just realized that we have different
perspectives
on the matter.  I, too enjoy wildlife, and am constantly amazed at the
wealth
of wildlife we have here in the midst of suburban sprawl less than 40 miles
from Manhattan and in a densly populated area of the country.  But it seems
that the deer get more agressive each year - they have eaten things in the
past year that they never touched before, and this year even my weekly
spraying of DeerOff and DeerSolution has not sufficed.  This week they
ate the container-grown plants on my doorstep even though they had been
sprayed. Squirrels are becoming a major problem with our bird-feeders.
I know all the arguments against feeding birds, but we do enjoy watching
them so much that we indulge ourselves.  We spend an inordinate amount
of money on suet cakes for the woodpeckers and sunflower hearts for the
goldfinches and others, but the squirrels have become so aggressive that
they eat more than the birds.  Chet has purchased a shield to cover the
tube-feeder, but some of the squirrels have managed to climb up through
my hanging baskets of tomatoes and stretch across to the feeder - doing
damage to the tomatoes at the same time.  We have to bring in the bird-food
at dark each night because of the raccoons.  A couple of nights ago Chet
forgot to go for the bird-food until about 10:00 and found that by that time
not only had the suet cake been pulled up onto the roof and devoured, but
the humming-bird feeder had been pulled down and broken.  It's just
depressing that I can't seem to keep ahead of the damage.
  I am really a nature-lover, but there has to be a place for me in the
environment, too, and it seems harder and harder to maintain it.
Auralie

In a message dated 7/3/2009 6:12:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,