RE: volunteers

  • Subject: RE: volunteers
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:47:12 -0700

I think most of my volunteers this year are actual weeds. I have made a
tiny bit of progress weeding the front garden and my husband is keeping
the teahouse garden pretty clean.
The teahouse garden is undergoing change. On the west side, last
winter's snowstorm broke off some very large sections of the pine trees
that shaded it. Some of the plants I had in there, like the nandina, are
now dying in the intense sun and some, like the rosemary, are growing
like mad. The nandina has a lot of volunteers which I'm going to leave
for a bit, perhaps the new plants will do better since they've started
in the sunlight. The mahonia is suckering like mad so I'm going to have
DH dig out the travelers.
I deadheaded the roses again Saturday and pulled a few weeds, but I
didn't get much done. I need to be a faster starter in the morning, when
I don't get outside until 9 it's much too hot to work for long. It was
over 90F at 8:00 am and triple digits later. I hate getting up early
though, it's like work.
A plant I've not seen in many years popped up under the office window
this year. I cleaned that area out this winter, it was overgrown with
juniper and pyracantha and weeds. I replanted with more xeric plants and
suddenly I noticed a few flowers I hadn't seen for a long time. They are
a silene, I can't remember the subspecies (is that the right
nomenclature?) but they're a bright pink annual flower. When we moved
there 15 years ago, the previous owners had sowed an entire strip of
them along the driveway, but they didn't self-seed too well. I'd
forgotten how pretty they were.
I sprayed for squash bugs in the veggie garden and I got some fertilizer
heavy on the PK part, I'll try scratching that in tonight. Maybe I'll
have zucchini again before long. We picked a few tomatoes yesterday but
I fear between my husband's experiment and me putting in those sickly
seedlings, we're not going to do too well.