Re: temps/humidity

In a message dated 06/03/2003 1:01:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:

> From: Lynda Young <lyoung@grindertaber.com>
> >In my yard it is elm seedlings - we find new ones every time we
> look at
> >a bed.  You're right, Marge, a summer long project.
> ----------
> I got wild cherry, boxelder, maple and elm - lifelong project; not to
> mention the bleedin' walnuts that the squirrels bury that pop up
> seemingly everywhere and this year, for some reason, I seem to have a
> bumper crop of poison ivy...gotta take a day; don the protective gear
> and go after it.

In addition to a bumper crop of maples, squirrel-planted hickories and oaks,
and the usual poison ivy, this year I am swamped with Oriental bittersweet
Celastrus orbiculata that is coming up by the thousands everywhere I look - lawn,
flower beds, hedges, driveway, just everywhere.  It has been an increasing
problem for several years, but this is the worst its ever been.  We have
neighbors who do only rudimentary gardening - that is as in hanging a pot of petunias
on their mailbox post each summer which promptly dies - and have let it grow
up over the trees in their yard.  We have suggested that it isn't good for the
trees, but they say they don't care.  I don't care about their trees if they
don't, but I do resent the fallout of the bird-planted vines coming up
everywhere.  Auralie