Re: Odd occurrences/ Asarum shuttleworthii

Hello Kitty,
    I have a few gingers in my garden and have had for some years now.
European ginger is a really nice one. Couple-three of the Asian gingers are
nice as well. But, I honestly do not feel that any of them compare to the
native A. shuttleworthii. It is a beaut. When settled in and mature that
plant gets humongous sized leaves, all with a high polished leaf surface
over milky mottling. Then in winter it turns burgundy. Wonderful domed
outline. And it is restrained in growth. Gets to be reasonable sized plant
without having to wait forever, but does not take over the garden.
Maidenhair ferns make nice companions, along with trilliums and tricyrtis in
my garden.
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana