Re: swamp rose

Actually the clay soil is no longer heavy clay, since we've been in this
house since 1989, the flower beds have had 2+inches of mulch put down every spring
and fall since then....so that is why I called it Clay mix.  The mulch has
broken down over the years, to make a wonderful soil.  The rose has been in the
ground for 5 now, blooms for us every March.    I pruned it back hard last
fall, was concerned that I might not have any blooms this year, thought perhaps I
had cut it back too late, but we had a fairly warm winter, so bloomed well.
I like it since it blooms before the rest of the plants around it grow up to
bloom.....Tecoma stans, Hamelia, Morning Glory Tree, and Duranta.

Right now that area is a mess.....native Summer Poinsettia has taken
over....talk about reseeding...geesh!!!   If I collect seeds, I can't get it to grow,
but let it do it's own thing...and BOOM.   Guess the Feb. rains helped that.
I do so hope that my Swamp rose doesn't send out suckers....that is the same
area that the Clerodendron trich. is in....have plenty to pull up with that
and the Summer Poinsettia.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast