Re: Hum..Now tours

I haven't had time to get into any of the interesting discussions here for
the last few weeks but I do want to follow up on Kitty's tour comments. In
the last few weeks I have been on 3 garden tours and my garden was included
in one of the tours.  All 3 tours were on days that it rained, not a
sprinkle but continuous rain. I found that most gardens were really nice,
some were actually fantastic, but there were a few that needed serious
weeding or cleanup. I would have been ashamed to show those but all in all,
the majority was worth seeing. At one inner-city garden, the outside wall of
their garage that faced the garden was completely covered with a mosaic of
colored glass pieces, metal springs and ceramic figurines set in mortar. The
homeowner/creator said it was a continuation of the garden and represented a
field of flowers. Although I couldn't see the field or flowers, it was kind
of neat but not something I would want. Then there was the garden that had
horseradish planted in 55 gallon steel drums. The owner wasn't around so I
couldn't ask the obvious question.

I try to go on all tours looking for ideas and new plants.  In one garden I
found a beautiful double Geranium (not a Pelargonium) with fully double
lavender flowers. Very eye-catching. It was labeled G. pratense 'Summer
Skies'. I can't find it in the local nurseries and it is probably too late
to mail order it now so I'll put it on my list for next year.

Dan zone 6 PA