From: MyTGoldens@aol.com
Sent: 06/26/03 08:16 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] variegated leaves

> In a message dated 6/26/03 12:09:30 AM, "Pamela J. Evans"
<gardenqueen@gbronline.com> writes:

<< Silver and green is gorgeous. That yellow business does make me think
they're diseased. I spend half my natural life picking yellow leaves off
roses so that's not a color I look for in foliage!! >>

Adding my 2 cents to the discussion, I would have to concur. Generally
speaking, if a plant is grown for it's flowers such as phlox or geranium,
I find the
variegation annoying and distracting. And those new variegated yellowy
columbines and bleeding hearts just look sick to me. But red, pink,
silver, etc. on
trees, shrubs, and other plants grown mostly for their foliage, I do find
enticing. Now, I have one of those new Gartenmeister type Fuchsias called
Firecracker, with rose, cream and green leaves. It's quite attractive, I
think, but
hasn't flowered yet. Maybe when it does, I'll want to pick the flowers

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY  zone 5/6