Re: batty

Love those stamps, bought several pages of them, then the local PO ran out. By the way, just off shore of our Mississippi waterfront, there is an island (Quinsippi Island) on which there is a flagpole with a large American flag, illuminated at night. I was at the landing one evening a couple weeks ago, and looked at the flag which is illuminated. A bevy of bats were flying around the flag, going for the insects attracted to the light. Love 'em!
Cathy
On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 07:18 AM, Kitty wrote:

Cathy,
You're the bat-person right? I just got these neet Night Friends -
American Bats stamps at the PO yesterday. You probably already knew
about them, but I just had to remark about the terrific photos they used
on them. Hey, if I have to pay 37 cents, I want a stamp that I can enjoy
sending! Besides, they were out of Cary Grant.

Kitty

-------Original Message-------
From: MyTGoldens@aol.com
Sent: 06/26/03 08:16 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] variegated leaves

In a message dated 6/26/03 12:09:30 AM, "Pamela J. Evans"
<gardenqueen@gbronline.com> writes:

<< Silver and green is gorgeous. That yellow business does make me think
they're diseased. I spend half my natural life picking yellow leaves off
roses so that's not a color I look for in foliage!! >>

Adding my 2 cents to the discussion, I would have to concur. Generally
speaking, if a plant is grown for it's flowers such as phlox or geranium,
I find the
variegation annoying and distracting. And those new variegated yellowy
columbines and bleeding hearts just look sick to me. But red, pink,
silver, etc. on
trees, shrubs, and other plants grown mostly for their foliage, I do find
enticing. Now, I have one of those new Gartenmeister type Fuchsias called
Firecracker, with rose, cream and green leaves. It's quite attractive, I
think, but
hasn't flowered yet. Maybe when it does, I'll want to pick the flowers
off!

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY zone 5/6