Re: Frit seeds/clivia

> From: Andrea H <hodgesaa@islc.net>
> Speaking of seeds, didn't someone mention a seed pod on a clivia
recently?
> Mine bloomed (and was it gorgeous!) and the blooms are now dropping
off. Do
> they set seeds? was wondering how to propagate.
----------

Mine seems to be forming one seedpod.  As I recall, Jim had a plant
producing pods?  Wish he'd return to the list so he could jump in on
this one,  but seem to remember that they take quite some time to
mature.

Did a search on my saved seed posts for Clivia and am copying and
pasting below .

"My experience with Clivia is to NOT LET THE SEED DRY OUT!   As they
are quite ornamental, I leave them on until the berries get very soft
and "fall off" the stalk. I clean them of pulp by soaking in water
and rubbing the berries gently and sow immediately in a well drained
media, kept moist and warm.  I often get germination within a month
or so.  As they have very large fleshy roots immediately, they tend
to resent transplanting so I sow them individually into deep 2.25
inch pots (sometimes called "rose pots")"
"Assuming the "berries" on your clivia turned color to red, remove
the outer, colored  covering , which should reveal 1-3 inner seeds,
which are sort of a light brown in color.  Sow these seeds in your
favorite seed starting medium, about 1/4" deep and don't allow to dry
out (not too moist, tho).  Germination should take place within 2
months or so."

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade