Re: Variegated foliage

Some love it some hate, some have a few reservations.
There's a vinca I hate called 'Illumination'.  But I have a variegated
redtwig dogwood called 'Silver Blotch' that's beautiful, but would be
nothing special w/out those cream edges.  There's a popular Summer
Phlox out there with cream/grn variegated leaves and a dark rosy pink
flower that looks too busy to me, but the purple tinged green leaves on
Blue Boy and others I find pleasing.  My Silene 'Clifford Moor' has
brightly variegated leaves, but the flowers are a very pale pink so
they don't seem to be competing.  The Silene 'Druett's Variegated' has
more (nearly)white than green in it's leaves and white flowers and I
find this appealing.  I love the pink/white/cream of new leaves on Jap
Maples 'Orido Nishiki' and 'Murasaki Kiyohime' and on the
boxelder 'Flamingo'.  Heliopsis 'Loraine Sunshine' has nearly white
leaves, only the veining is green - which I think is great but just
doesn't go best with its yellow-gold flowers.  Pink or blue would be
more pleasing, but I don't think you'll ever see that in a Heliopsis.

I thought the silver-white overlay on Brunnera mac 'Jack Frost' was
overdone; I prefer a little less as in B.m.'Silver Wings'. But JF is
beginning to grow on me.  At first I thought variegated Columbines
like 'Leprechaun's Gold' looked diseased, but I'm beginning to
appreciate them.  And then there's the Lamiums!  How boring if they
were solid green.

I think you need to place these variegated plants in context.  As Marge
mentioned, to brighten dark areas, so they should be surrounded by
unvariegated plants for best effect.  Put several different vgtd plants
together and I think it would be too busy for my taste.  I also seem to
lean more toward silver than gold, but I did just buy a Lemon Wave
hydrangea.

Kitty