Re: Variegated foliage

Well I have to agree with Marge!  With all the dry shade I have here, the
variegated foliage does wonders for improving the "light" under this dense
canopy.

I have discovered that there are some cautions to take: such as not to mix a
bunch of them in one site!  It's like wearing several prints that just don't
look well together.  Like patterns in fabric some work, some don't.  I like
toile and checks together but not plaids and paisleys.  Same for plants and
leaves.

I've mixed the variegated vinca with the regular stuff and my neighbors have
remarked how I've "improved" those sections.  I've done the same where I
have ivy, incorporated the variegated with the plain green leaves.  I think
that the mix of the same plant but with different leaves gives those sites
some more depth or dimension - not flat and monotone.

My preference is for the silver/white variations but my husband like the
yellow (which often seem more sickly to me).  I've compromised and put the
yellow ivies in his section of the yard (the hammock next to the shed).
I've still got a sense of continuity because of the shapes of the leaves
stand out more than the colors from viewing the yard from the entrance or
patio.

Just got a book from the library titled "Consider the Leaf: Foliage in
Garden Design"
by Judy Glattstein.  Pretty interesting stuff since I have to be realistic
and acknowledge that a blooming cottage garden may not be possible with the
dry shade.  Leaves have texture and color that seem to make up for the range
of pinks to blues to purples that I want to see.

Fran, OKC, Zone 7

PS  And a personal thanks to Marge for helping me understand that gardening
in the shade IS a legitimate gardening style!!!  The "Gardening in the
Shade" site is wonderful!!