Re: Variegated foliage

I was just out today admiring my 'Jack Frost' and telling myself and
it that it sure was a stunner.  Much more effective and robust than
the B. mac. 'Hadspen Cream' for me.  'Langtrees' just faded away, so
I'm very grateful for 'Jack Frost'.  Try it with one of the assorted
Japanese Painted ferns on the market - they compliment each other

Agree, Lamium would not be worth growing if it weren't variegated.

While I generally agree about setting off variegated plants with
non-variegated ones, combinations of them can be very effective IF
you are careful about leaf size and coloration.

An entire garden of nothing but variegated plants would be like
pigging out on a 2 lb box of chocolate all in one sitting...too rich;
would cancel each other out, I should think, much as I love
variegated foliage.

Also agree that some plants variegation fights with their flowers.
But, different strokes..somewhere, someone will adore what revolts
someone else.  The ones I have problems with are the ones that look
like they have a major virus of some kind instead of having a really
interesting leaf, which most do.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :