Re: Habitat and ponds

Donna, higher zones might not have to worry about over wintering, but depth
is stressed here as well.  The water can get very hot quickly.  I am unable to
put goldfish in many of my tubs because they cook.  Water is great for plants,
but too hot for most cold water fish.  I use native Gambusi (mosquito fish)
mainly, and some tropicals (that I have to overwinter inside) in my tub water
gardens.  The same depth requirements that apply to watergardening up north,
apply to the hotter climate zones as well....i.e. minimum of 18" for a Goldfish
pond, 30" min. for Koi.....both needing aeration.  I'm not sure, but since I
don't get the frog tadpoles in my tubs, that they perhaps too look for water
that does not get as warm.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast