From: Lynda Young [mailto: lyoung@grindertaber.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:03:43 -0500
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Tennessee Gardener Article/Now Wildlife

Bonnie, you'd enjoy our newest neighborhood clown. We have a red fox
in<br>the area who thinks he's a dog. He's not at all shy and
doesn't<br>hesitate to try to engage our dog when we're walking. My
Johnboy is a<br>150 lb. creature of undefinable heritage who's a real
sweetheart and<br>would never hurt another animal - the fox must sense
that. It will<br>prance along with us at the woods edge 'barking' and
darting around<br>trying to instigate a game of chase. We woke up the
other morning to<br>find him sitting outside our bedroom window watching
for signs of life -<br>like "Hey, y'all get up and let that big red dog
come out to play".<br>He's regularly waiting at the top of the drive at
lab who was seen at real play with the fox<br>recently - typical dog
play - lunging, chasing in circles, mock<br>growling. They would play
until they got hot, lie around panting a few<br>minutes, then begin
were beginning to wonder if the fox was just lonely, but saw him
a<br>few days ago with his mate and five kits (is that the right
interesting behavior from a really lovely little
Message-----<br>From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net
[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On<br>Behalf Of Bonnie
Holmes<br>Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 1:11 AM<br>To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject: RE: [CHAT] Tennessee Gardener
nature center. I<br>enjoy wildlife even if it is a nuisance sometimes.
Went to turn on the<br>hose this afternoon and noticed a nice long black
snake skin. I think<br>it is the one my husband saw a few days ago and
the one that lives under<br>the front porch. One of my friends saw two
mating the other day...her<br>husband and brother<br>took
pictures...said it looked like a two-headed s

nake. My husband<br>asked<br>"how do you know they were
mating?<br><br>Grass is already on my "forget it" list. My "grass"
consists of clover,<br>volunteer flowers, and whatever. The Bermuda
grass patch is slowly<br>being<br>reduced with roundup...absolutely hate
Message]<br>> From: Donna <justme@prairieinet.net><br>> To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>> Date: 06/01/2004 6:47:39 PM<br>> Subject: RE:
like a wonderful area to live with all those gardens to <br>>
explore!<br>><br>> You should volunteer at the nature center if
possible. You learn many <br>> other concepts of gardening there along
with eco systems. Most of them<br><br>> are really hard pressed for
volunteers and would welcome you even if <br>> you could only come once
in awhile. Must warn you though, you will <br>> leave with a different
attitude about grass, seems you find yourself <br>> ripping it out and
planting something more suitable for wildlife.<br>><br>>
family of gardeners. Somewhat different in mission<br>> than<br>> > the
Trial Gardens and the proposed KBG, it focuses on native plants<br>>
and<br>> > nature. Throughout the year, family orientated programs on
owls,<br>> frogs,<br>> > butterflies, etc. are conducted. I took my
young scouts there for<br>> patch<br>> > work. It is one other place I
am tempted to volunteer although it <br>> > is about 1 hr. in driving
distance from my home.<br>><br>>
Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive! <br>>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com