Re: Spring Gardening

> From: Richard T. Apking <richa@midlands.net>
>  Has anyone cut back their Autumn Joy; and if so, what
> was the result.  I guess I just figured they would be tall and
somewhat
> floppy in the fall.  Also about rooting the cut off portions, is
this
> difficult?  I've never done this, and could (if I decide to do the
cutting
> back) use some help as to the techniques so the venture is a
success.
----------

I have not done this on purpose, but the deer used to do it for me.
Result was more and smaller flowers; plants still tend to flop; think
they are among the crew who naturally open up when in bloom or maybe
they don't do this in absolute full sun...this I would not know.

Others are right; Sedum will root easily.  I have many times just
stuck a broken stem in the ground and gone on my way...unless you're
in major drought, they'll root.

I have S. spectabile (similar to A. Joy, but lavender flowers)
seeding like mad in the cracks of my paved garden...must love paving
cracks.  Seeds true.  Have also had A. Joy seed around a bit and it
seeds true as well.  Seedlings are very easy to move.  I've just
pulled them out of the cracks and planted elsewhere and they grow
away just fine.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade