From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 9:50 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Shouldn't it > houseplants

I don't 'do' houseplants as I find them to be a bother.  Always forget to
water them, they get dusty, they are more 'housework' for me, and I don't
like housework.  That said, I like them in other people's houses.  And I do
overwinter tender plants on a large lightstand, which I suppose, makes them
short-term houseplants.

My experience with plants in the house during the winter months (neIN, Z5)
has shown me the difficulties of low humidity which might in some way mirror
your situation year-round.  Do you use A/C a lot?  This can remove what
little humidity you have.  Last year I had a new furnace and A/C installed
and I had an April Air humidifier attached.  Now my humidity in winter has
been increased from as little as 20% to 50% and I saw a noticeable
difference in the overwintered plants.  I don't know if this is an option
for you, since you are likely in this location to escape humidity.  If so,
you can increase the humidity imediately around the plants by placing the
pots atop trays of stone and water and it may not cause too much of an
increase of RH all around the home.

Kitty