Re: Soil pH

So, I take it you are an "inorganic" chemist?? (not sure that is the correct term)
Your explanation reminded me of sitting and listening to my sister practice her master's presentation when she was in grad school. I had know idea what she was talking about, but she could draw really nifty molecular diagrams at the drop of a hat. If anyone is dying to know about the bacterial action part I can check with my personal organic chemist (older sister)- but she's getting ready to move next week, so don't want to bug her unless someone actually wants that info.

James R. Fisher wrote:

Donna wrote:

as any ponder/fish colelctor can tell you - vinger and
baking soda are always on hand supplies to control the
ph of the water. (over doing will cause more problems,

So wondering if plants use up the by products when in
soil like they do in water to adjust the soil ph?

any one know? Jim our resident chemist have any link
on that thought?

No links, but can babble at some length. Acid rain is a dilute
solution of sulfuric acid (H2SO4). In the soil or in a pond it provides
sulfate which plants can use. If you use something like sodium or potassium
hydroxide (Na/K)OH to neutralize it in a pond (do you ?), then you get
again a dilute solution of Na2SO4 or K2SO4 (actually bisulfate (HSO4-) )
the first of which is no good for anything (the Na), but K is of course
taken up by plants.
If you have hard/high pH water ( a dilute calcium bicarbonate solution) and
adjust with vinegar (acetic acid), you get a dilute calcium acetate
solution from which plants can use the calcium and the acetate breaks down
via bacterial action into other organics, about which I know nothing; organic
chemistry is a whole 'nother world. More than you wanted to know ? Anything
you want left unsaid ?