Back from Minnesota!

Well I am back from my week in Minnesota. I am always agog whenever I go
back east at how much water there is and this was no exception. It rained
every day! Not for more than an hour or so each day thank heavens. Little
ponds everywhere and cattails growing in the grass verges on the sides of
the roads. What a sight to Californian eyes.
Since it wasn't my trip I didn't get to visit any botanical sites but I was
impressed with all the conifers there...wow...back home they'd have to be
alarmed to keep people from stealing them at Christmas time. Beautiful
conifers everywhere. And hostas growing right out in the open, no shade! I
sure didn't see many gardens with flowers though, I don't know if we were
too early or what, but no one seemed to have flowering plants in any
quantity. Did see a lot of peony bushes almost ready to bloom, a white
flowering shrub that was popular in cemeteries, and some bearded iris, but
no roses (except wild ones along the streams) and seemingly no flowering
perennials. Sure some gorgeous foliage though.
My husband and his two sisters had a good time visiting all the places they
remembered from growing up there. Unfortunately their old farmhouse was due
to be torn down and replaced with newer houses. Pretty ironic considering we
here are griping about the incessant bulldozering of the desert to put up
houses, guess it's everywhere. I gazed at a lot of scenery and got massacred
by mosquitoes, huge itchy welts almost 3 inches across covering my arms. It
had to have been during the couple hours we spent in a cemetery looking for
ancestral grave markers. The other three got nothing. I don't know how
Minnesota trains mosquitoes to know who's not a native, but it seems to work
well. Of course AFTER that I wore bug stuff but since I never saw the things
in the first place...oh well, the welts are almost gone now.
They oooh'd and aaah'd and spoke wistfully of moving back (after 40 years in
CA!) but you're not getting me someplace where the temperatures drop into
the minus digits. I'm happy with the gardening challenges I have at present.

Cyndi