Re: another MG sale . ROI

Donna, you asked about our sale last week and I answered, but I've done some
additional calculations that have gotten me thinking and wondering.  So I
thought I'd ask you all what you think.

We ordered in a lot more plants this season because we expected more
traffic.  For the May and June sales we doubled and tripled respectively the
number of pots sold.  However, because of the volume we were dealing in, we
wanted to move some plants fast so we sold quite a few plants in quarts
rather than wait for them to get to gallon size.  This meant we charged a
bit less but with the volume we were able to break $ sales records.

I'm not an accountant and barely remember ratios like ROI from my college
days, but even though our gross and net sales were higher, we brought in
less per dollar invested.  Previously the ratio was 1:5.19 in 2003 and
1:5.85 in 2004.  But so far this year we are at 1:4.28.  We are bringing in
less per dollar invested.  However, we aren't tripping over inventory.
Kinda nice not to have to babysit a few hundred more pots in this heat.

So.  What do you think?  We are happy with the money we've brought in, but
are we making our dollar go far enough?  If we'd waited the qts would have
been ready now to pot up to gallons and we could get more for them that way
at the August sale.  And yet, that's a gamble too.  So what do you think?  A
bird in the hand... or Don't be too hasty?

neIN, Z5