From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Cathy Carpenter
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 11:19 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] hum...now sad...

Hard to get motivated to do anything. One of my cats, Jason, died today.
Thursday about 5AM, he woke us with terrific yowling from under our bed.
Finally got him out from there and he was writhing on the floor alternately
yowling and panting. Got him to the vets (thought, being a male that it
might be a urinary tract thing, but the UA was essentially negative) and
while there, we noticed that his head was turning to the side and his eyes
were moving involuntarily back and fourth. The vet said he thought either
toxin exposure or a neurological problem and kept him for IV fluids,
antibiotics, corticosteroids, and tests. Liver studies were negative, but
over the next two days he continued to exhibit neurologic symptoms which I
would describe as "seizure-like". This afternoon, he was dead. Vet says that
the most likely cause was either a tumor or some other central nervous
system lesion.
I have been crying on and off ever since. DH is dealing with it in his own
way, getting involve in "projects". Unfortunately, he is not up to giving me
support. I feel so silly, as I have never reacted like this to a pet's death
before. I guess it is because as an empty nester, Jason became a surrogate
child. He was our only indoor- outdoor cat, and I have never known a cat to
act so much like a dog.
He wanted us to be out with him and whenever I would garden, Jason would
come and lie down right where I was working! He would come when called,
purring with tail held high and follow us around the yard. He was a friend
to every one (except dogs) and was a pretty inept hunter... but. so proud of
himself when he caught a vole, mouse, or
(once) a snake.
Have to go tomorrow to the vet to decide on his disposition ...
dreading it.  Sorry to be such a downer, but I had to vent.
Thanks,
Cathy