From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Cathy Carpenter
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 10:19 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] hum...now sad...

Hard to get motivated to do anything. One of my cats, Jason, died
today. Thursday about 5AM, he woke us with terrific yowling from
under our bed. Finally got him out from there and he was writhing on
the floor alternately yowling and panting. Got him to the vets
(thought, being a male that it might be a urinary tract thing, but
the UA was essentially negative) and while there, we noticed that his
head was turning to the side and his eyes were moving involuntarily
back and fourth. The vet said he thought either toxin exposure or a
neurological problem and kept him for IV fluids, antibiotics,
corticosteroids, and tests. Liver studies were negative, but over the
next two days he continued to exhibit neurologic symptoms which I
would describe as "seizure-like". This afternoon, he was dead. Vet
says that the most likely cause was either a tumor or some other
central nervous system lesion.
I have been crying on and off ever since. DH is dealing with it in
his own way, getting involve in "projects". Unfortunately, he is not
up to giving me support. I feel so silly, as I have never reacted
like this to a pet's death before. I guess it is because as an empty
nester, Jason became a surrogate child. He was our only indoor-
outdoor cat, and I have never known a cat to act so much like a dog.
He wanted us to be out with him and whenever I would garden, Jason
would come and lie down right where I was working! He would come when
called, purring with tail held high and follow us around the yard. He
was a friend to every one (except dogs) and was a pretty inept
hunter... but. so proud of himself when he caught a vole, mouse, or
(once) a snake.
Have to go tomorrow to the vet to decide on his disposition ...
dreading it.  Sorry to be such a downer, but I had to vent. Thanks,