Re: hum...now sad...

I found this when I was looking at websites for Damascena's headstone. I
had it framed and gave it to my Vet as a thank you gift. These words are
the truest I've ever read of any beloved pet.

Where to Bury a Dog
This piece by Ben Hur Lampman originally appeared
in The Oregonian in 1926.

A subscriber of the Ontario (Oregon) Argus has written to the editor of
that fine weekly, propounding a certain question, which, so far as we know,
remains unanswered: "Where shall I bury my dog?" It is asked in advance of
death. The Oregonian trusts the Argus will not be offended if this
newspaper undertakes an answer, for surely such a question merits a reply.
It distresses (the writer) to think of his favorite as dishonored in death,
mere carrion to the winter rains. Within that sloping, canine skull, he
must reflect when the dog is dead, were thoughts that dignified the dog and
honored the master. The hand of the master and of the friend stroked often
in affection this rough, pathetic husk that was a dog.

We would say to the Ontario man that there are various places in which a
dog may be buried. We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in
the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or
an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under
four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals
on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any
flowering shrub is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such
trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous
bone, or lifted his head to challenge some intruder. These are good places
in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment
more than anything else. For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he
leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing,
asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at
long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked, and the trees are
roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the
flatness of a pasture lane where most exhilarating cattle graze, it is all
one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, nothing is lost,
if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that
is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he
will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers
of death and down the well remembered path and to your side again. And
though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not growl at him, or
resent his coming, for he is yours and belongs there. People may scoff at
you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no
whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really
have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden
from them, and which is well worth the knowing. The one best place to bury
a good dog is the heart of his master.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC