Re: Rain/now spray

Hi, Dan. I don't spray--and so far [10 years or so] no bugs. I was warned about planting cattley guavas and loquats, that they were both fruit fly magnets, but that has not been the case. It may be that, because we don't spray, we have an abundant anole population that keeps them in check; dunno. But for whatever reason, we've had no insect damage to anything except the a few butterfly hosts--and they're gobbled down to bare stems a couple of times a year. Seems odd, down here in bug heaven.

On Jun 2, 2006, at 9:03 AM, droman wrote:

Jim,

What kind of spray program do you use for your trees? I have an old Stanley
Plum tree that if I miss a few spray days I can kiss the crop goodbye.

Dan
z6 PA

----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 4:59 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Rain

If it goes as expected, Bonnie, I'll send you some. Like persimmons,
they need to be mushy to be edible, so they should be good shipper.

My list didn't include our Barbados cherry, which has been yielding
about a dozen ripe fruits a day for the last fortnight. If you're not
familiar with this fruit, google acerola--very high in vitamin C. Very
tasty sweet-tart fruit out of hand, too.