Re: gas plant

> I have grown a Gas Plant, not albus for a long time - maybe 18-20
> years.  It is a pinky-lavender - don't know the species.  This plant
> has never been vigorous, but it hangs in there - blooms every year
> but the blooms don't last too long.  It just fills a spot in the perennial
> bed.  I am always glad to see it bloom, but don't notice it much the
> rest of the time.  I have never tried the trick of lighting a match near
> it on a humid evening to see the flare of gas.  Has anyone else?  Or
> is that another urban legend?  Maybe if I gave it more space - it is
> crowded by Monarda, Siberian iris, peonies, hardy geraniums, etc. -
> it might amount to more, but there are lots of things that might do
> better if I were a neater "housekeeper."

Actually, I lied when I said I had Dictamnus albus.  I actually have
Dictamnus albus 'Purpureus' which is pink with lavender veination.

It sounds like that might be the one that you have.

What kind of conditions do you have it in?  Mine is in gravelly clay
with a lot of sun and not much competition.  It used to have plants
around it and wasn't nearly as happy then.

I've never tried lighting the oils, but I sure love to smell them!  It's
my favorite flower for fragrance.