To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 8:49 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] gas plant>WSL orders

I must be missing something here.  Just as in our own
gardens, not every plant thrives the way we wish. Some
years are outstanding, but the following year the same
plant is just ok- or worse.

I am sure the growers have the same issues. It is also
hard to determine just what the outcome will be months
before they are shipped but need to be offered in a
catalog while they are still dormant or just how well
they will come out of dormancy once they reach their
new home.

As a wholesaler, you should expect some good with the
bad in a flat. As an individual purchaser, you expect
the best of the flat at shipping time.

Donna

--- Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:

Bluebird was sort of a mixed bag on quality but
customer service is
excellent. They immediately credited the puny
Capsicum that they admit
should not have been sent. And when I asked about
the white gas plant that
should have been purple, they offered to send the
purple too, though I said
not to. Their Salvia 'Evolution' was not very
good, but the Plumbago was
excellent. They individually wrapped each scented
geranium, whch all
arrived in good shape. All 48 Red Hot Pokers were
fabulous, not a runt in
the litter. The main reason I ordered from them at
all was to obtain
Andropogon 'Silver Sunrise', a new GreatPlants
release. They looked really
nice. But the Ppl Ftn Grass I ordered to fill out
the flat was pretty sad.
The whole flat of Fibre Optic Grass was fantastic.
How to tell ahead of time? Not a clue.

My second order from Walters was shipped bone dry.
Do they do that to
retard growth?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5

> I'm glad your gas plants from Bluebird did well.
I ordered 16 and they
> were *tiny*. Only six have come up (they were
dormant at the time),
> the largest of which is about an inch high.
Hardly any roots to speak
> of either. :(
>
> Bluebird seems to be either really good or really
bad with plants. I