From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Christopher P. Lindsey
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 3:57 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hydrangia "Nikko Blue"

> Chris, could that be why people use the rusty nails?  If they have
> soil that is borderline alkaline, could the iron from the rusty nails
> enable the plant to take up that micronutrient?  Just wondering.

Hi Bonnie,

  The iron *is* the micronutrient, so it could just be that the nails are
  providing iron in an iron-poor soil.

  I really don't see any way that iron could change the pH of the soil,
  but hydrangea color *has* been linked to iron.  And rust forms in more
  acidic environments, so if you put iron nails in soil with a pH of less
  than 8.2 (I think) it might make the iron easier to absorb once it

  So...  I'd try the nails *with* sulfur, or fertilize your plants with
  Osmocote professional + micros (which will release copper, iron, etc.
  into the soils).

  I use sulfur, Osmocote pro with micros, 10-10-10, 42-0-0, and super-
  absorbents as additives in my soilless mix for plants.