Re: Hydrangia "Nikko Blue"

> Chris, could that be why people use the rusty nails?  If they have soil that
> is borderline alkaline, could the iron from the rusty nails enable the plant
> to take up that micronutrient?  Just wondering.

Hi Bonnie,

  The iron *is* the micronutrient, so it could just be that the nails are
  providing iron in an iron-poor soil.

  I really don't see any way that iron could change the pH of the soil,
  but hydrangea color *has* been linked to iron.  And rust forms in more
  acidic environments, so if you put iron nails in soil with a pH of less
  than 8.2 (I think) it might make the iron easier to absorb once it
  oxidizes.

  So...  I'd try the nails *with* sulfur, or fertilize your plants with
  Osmocote professional + micros (which will release copper, iron, etc.
  into the soils).

  I use sulfur, Osmocote pro with micros, 10-10-10, 42-0-0, and super-
  absorbents as additives in my soilless mix for plants.

Chris