Re: Hydrangia "Nikko Blue"

Yes Chris, thanks for filling in those blanks because now I can give my "students" better info!
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hydrangia "Nikko Blue"

Chris, could that be why people use the rusty nails? If they have soil that
is borderline alkaline, could the iron from the rusty nails enable the plant
to take up that micronutrient? Just wondering.
Hi Bonnie,

 The iron *is* the micronutrient, so it could just be that the nails are
 providing iron in an iron-poor soil.

 I really don't see any way that iron could change the pH of the soil,
 but hydrangea color *has* been linked to iron.  And rust forms in more
 acidic environments, so if you put iron nails in soil with a pH of less
 than 8.2 (I think) it might make the iron easier to absorb once it

 So...  I'd try the nails *with* sulfur, or fertilize your plants with
 Osmocote professional + micros (which will release copper, iron, etc.
 into the soils).

 I use sulfur, Osmocote pro with micros, 10-10-10, 42-0-0, and super-
 absorbents as additives in my soilless mix for plants.