This evening in the garden

Dear All,

I frequently get home from school quite late in the afternoon, many times
5:00 or 6:00 PM.  Well, I usually check out the garden after dropping the
mail on the counter and letting the cats out for a bit of fresh air. I grab
my camera and start shooting every new bloom, interesting foliage plant and
quite a few bugs along the way.  Sounds simple, but it's not.  Living on the
water, we more often than not have a swift breeze blowing late in the
afternoon, so it's hard to get a shot that doesn't make one become dizzy!
Then, of course, some garden task distracts me, so in my school clothes,
gloveless and with my camera swinging every which way, I start emptying the
wheelbarrow that is filled to overflowing after the last downfall! Luckily
tonight, the hose didn't need to be dragged from one end of the garden to
the opposite end to water some shriveled up plant! But, I did try to do some
pruning with my bare hands and I tried to coax clematis vines up a trellis
without going inside for some string! Subsequently, I notice the piles of
weeds that never made it into the wheelbarrow, but instead are scattered
around the yard like haystacks in a farmer's field. Right about then the "no
see ums" find me and attack my neck and face!  My face has just about
recovered from the last time they feasted on me! OK, now it's getting DARK!
But, dauntless, I still take a few more photos and call the cats inside for
the night.  Right before I come inside, I find my first non-species bloom on
a daylily, H.'Curly Pink Ribbons'!  I pluck off the flower and bring it
inside. After I hook my camera up to my computer, I send most of my photos
to the deleted items file! Oh well, there's always tomorrow!

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
 Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)

chris@widom-assoc.com