Re: Moths

Very interesting!  Thanks for sharing!

Daryl <pulis@mindspring.com> wrote:
  A few weeks ago somebody mentioned a lot of moths. This came in on the MSU IPM

Armyworm flight into Michigan causes gull problem at Comerica Park
Dave Smitley, Entomology

A big storm front from June 8-10 brought in a load of armyworm moths
into Michigan. Many locations along Lake Michigan, especially places with
bright lights on at night, reported an abundance of light brown moths for
several days after the storm. But nobody noticed them more than the fans at
Comerica Park during two night games, including the game that Justin Verlander
pitched a no-hitter. The problem came from the gulls more than the moths. What
happened is that the bright lights at Comerica Park acted as a giant light
trap, attracting moths from miles away. After fluttering around the lights,
some of the moths settled into the stadium. Moths are a tasty treat for gulls,
and they couldn't resist such a banquet. Hundreds of gulls came to the stadium
where the easiest picking seemed to be off the baseball turf.
Kevin Newhouse, an entomologist and technician working in my lab visited
Heather Nabozny, head groundskeeper for the Detroit Tigers, to discuss the
problem on Monday, June 11. Kevin collected some of the moths and identified
them as the armyworm, Pseudaletia unipuncta. Overwintering armyworms complete
their spring development in mid-to-southern Indiana, Illinois and other parts
of the Midwest at a similar latitude, in late May, pupate and emerge as adult
moths in early-to-mid June. (view photo) Large numbers of these and other
related moth species can move large distances with storm fronts. The moths
rest during the day and fly at night, and they are very attracted to bright
lights. The rest of the story is history now. The gulls were dancing all over
Comerica Park snatching up moths during two Tiger night games.

Jesse R. Bell

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives.
I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends
and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that.
That's what's insane about it."  -  John Lennon