Re: 20-year Bromeliad

simply gorgeous-I "liberated" one of those from the nursery that was being slowly killed and it's out in my back shade in a pot. Doing quite well but no blooms so far, although it is certainly big enough. I'll have to remember to REALLY neglect it.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Vera Metzke" <vmetzke@gmail.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2007 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] 20-year Bromeliad

This is just beautiful!  I have no doubt you could make anything bloom!
VBG  I envy those with a good growing season and not our tempered weather!
Vera

I have an Aechmea fasciata bromeliad that I rescued from St. Anthony
Publishing when I pretended to work there. That was 20 years ago. Since
that time, the plant has been a summer-only balcony dweller in WDC and
Bethesda, MD, and a patio dweller at a garden apartment in Sarasota
and, finally, here at Jim's Jungle. And every year it's bloomed, so
apparently it feels no ill-will toward the lackadaisical care it's
received in all these years. Here's a link to a picture of this year's
bloom. If the leaves do not look as gray as they should, it's likely
because it now lives in the dense shade of the avocado tree--and was
pretty much buried in avocado leaves until Ms. Fatma noticed the bloom
poking through the litter earlier today and uncovered it..

http://snipr.com/1ni37

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W