woe woe woe my boat

before the fence issue arose I had contracted to have my family room redone. New patio door, garage entry door, all new woodwork including the 2 step treads, and ceramic tile. I did the painting myself, but got a contractor for the big stuff. The patio door is a beautiful peachtree fiberglass wood-look door that could be stained just like the woodwork. I told him I wanted golden oak like the kitchen, or as close to that as possible.

I came home tonight to RED MAPLE. I nearly cried. Minwax doesn't make golden oak in GEL stain which is needed for the fiberglass. He doesn't like other brands so he chose the red maple because that's what they're putting in all the new homes and it looks so rich and beautiful. But it is RED. That's the color they used in the 60s when this place was built and I've lived with it for over 20 yrs. I wanted the more neutral shade I used when I had my kitchen done a few years ago.

It can't be fixed w/out making it very dark and even then the fiberglass wouldn't match the rest so I just have to live with it. I know he meant well, but...

neIN, Zone 5