Re: help help!!

Rebecca Kolls current newsletter has a lede about birds flying into

Hi Everyone!

Ahh...spring and sunny days.  Does it get any better?  Bird watching
has been terrific this year - however for birds sunny skies and
windows become a death trap. Here are a few tips to help you and your
feathered friends.

Since the windows are like mirrors the birds think they can fly right
through. Placing a fine netting over the window works but is not
pretty! Making the windows less reflective is the key.  Oftentimes
keeping the curtains closed will do the trick.   Stick-on decals or
window clings placed on the window will work.  But to be effective
they MUST be placed on the OUTSIDE of the window and should be spaced
about 8 inches apart to work!  Ok this will keep the birds hitting
windows, and will minimize you seeing the birds.  You can try applying
a film to the outside of the window with a product called
"CallidEscape" which is having success.  Or you might want to try
hanging strips of shiny tape.  They are sold under the name as "bird-
scare" tape.  However, the best, easiest and cheapest solution is to
allow the windows to get dirty!  Yes, no window washing! A bit of dirt
will minimize reflection - the dirtier the window, the less reflective
they are. I like this one best!

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W